What is great design?
To me: Great design is simple, sustainable, and clear.
1. Simple: Great design is simple. In order for software design to be simple, it must be:
• Small: components, classes, methods, etc.
• Loosely coupled
• Progressive: classes and frameworks
2. Sustainable: Great design is sustainable. In order to be sustainable, it must be:
• Able to meet goals (and usually make money is one of them)
• Observable and testable--even easy to simulate
• Resilient to changes and failures
3. Clear: Great design is clear. In order to be clear, design must be:
• Described with clear names and phrases
• Intuitive with appropriate use of patterns and metaphors
• Easy and obvious
Quotes from others
"Great design is great business"
"Great design makes money"
"Great design wins hearts"
"Making money is the residue of great design"
To you: What is great design?